Thursday, July 3, 2008

Bryan Anderson








I spent 26 years in the Army and was always impressed, sometimes even surprised, with the kind of young men and women that joined up. Bryan Anderson is no different. No, Bryan Anderson is different.

Different if not amazing. There are maybe only six guys who have lived through an injury or would that resulted in the loss of three limbs. I don't know any of the others, but Bryan has set a really high standard of what to do with that particular challenge. You only have to watch a view of the video that he is in, including pieces on Fox News, Today Show and countless other local TV stories. Just visit his web site and look at his video collection. It is amazing.

And then he and USA Cares came in contact.

When we first met him, we flew him down to Radcliff to USA Cares to introduce him to us and for us to get to meet him. We had a long time ago determined that we would not "use" any of the injured to promote our organization. We had seen others that had set kids up and it was almost embarrassing to watch them, you could tell that they were not prepared and not really sure why they were there. We didn't want to do that.

With Bryan, it wasn't about feeling sorry for himself. His words sealed the deal. "When I was laying in Walter Reed I saw how tough it was for my dad and mom. They had it harder than I did". He wanted to help us continue our work, and we wanted to honor his courage and his request. As we got to know him, we were all amazed at his love of life and the fact that he was all about living every second of it, and warp speed.

I am sure you may know that he has appeared in CSI: NY and in the latest Batman movie. He has also appeared in several extremely well done USA Cares video. Share A Minute and Red Shirt Friday or only two of the projects that he is involved with, and all for the right reasons. He wants to make a difference. He is making a difference, I know that for sure in my life and the lives of those who is helping.

I know that Bryan will succeed. I know that he will face hurdles, but knowing him as I do, it will only be another vault. I hope you get to know him as well as I do.

I can't talk about Bryan without mentioning a very caring company. Pride Mobility has become one of the most supportive and wonderful companies that we have come across in the past five plus years. We had always thought that the defense industry would step up to the plate and help us help those we serve, but we have been continually surprised at the fact that it is the "civilian" companies that are the ones that devote time, treasure and talent to USA Cares and her mission. Thanks to all the wonderful folks there and especially to the marketing department. Thanks.

Roger

No comments: